July 12, 2010
After 98 years, Martin Bros. Contractors, the Roanoke Valley’s oldest general contractor, announced it is changing its name to MB Contractors. The name change is a result of the company’s strategic planning and reflects the last decade of growth and expansion throughout the Commonwealth.
“We wanted to make the change subtle to keep us connected with our history and the core values upon which our company is built. At the same time MB Contractors is a better reflection of who we are today and enhances our brand, allowing us to better promote our culture of accountability and our current and future growth,” says President Todd Morgan.
Founded in 1912 by brothers A.P. and Jim Martin, the company’s roots were in building and renovating properties for investors in the early days of Roanoke, Va. As the region grew, so did the company. Purchased from the Martin family in 1982, current company owners include CEO John “Jed” Hammer, President Todd Morgan, MBA and Executive Vice President Mike Cagle, PE.
Today, MB Contractors is a multi-million-dollar company, with offices in Roanoke and Richmond, serving corporate, healthcare and senior living, education, hospitality, government, and other industries with projects throughout the Commonwealth. Projects of note include Abingdon’s Heartwood Artisan Gateway, AECOM’s Certified Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Silver tenant upfit in the Wachovia Tower, the renovations and additions to four Roanoke County Public Schools, Fredericksburg’s Stafford Senior Living, and the recently awarded Roanoke City Market Building—a LEED registered project.
As part of the name change, the company launched a new website, www.mbcontractors.com. Effective immediately, all future business activity will be conducted using the new name. There has been no change in the company’s ownership.